Getting Married in Perthshire
When it comes to getting married, Perth and Perthshire are hard to beat. Pretty churches, fabulous hotels, stunning scenery and great activities – our big county has it all. Plus we’re located within a 90-minute drive of 90% of Scotland’s population, so everyone can get here easily!
That means there’s a lot of info and advice packed into this article, so grab a cuppa, relax and let us help you plan the most special day of your life!
Well, every wedding has to start somewhere, right? When you’re ready to pop the question to your gal or guy, you’ll want it to be just right. That doesn’t mean it has to be fancy, just whatever is meaningful to you both. So here are our top recommendations for everything from the ring to the celebratory bubbly!
Where to buy the ring
You can find beautiful engagement and wedding rings from these top independent Perth jewellers:
- Byers & Co
- Silver Linings
- Number Five
- Boo Vake
- T. Paterson
- TB Mitchell
- Timothy Hardie
- Cairncross of Perth and
- W.T.G. Henderson
Some will help you to design your own, too!
Where to propose
You might want to propose over dinner at 63 Tay Street, Tabla, Deans, Santé, North Port, The Post Box or Grand’ Italia, to name just a few. Or why not pop the question with style at an event such as the Enchanted Forest, Rewind, the Solas Festival, or Perth Highland Games? You could even get back to nature as you get down on one knee at a Perthshire beauty spot or a riverside walk along the North Inch.
Time to celebrate
Congratulations – they said yes! If you’re now both thinking about tucking into some champers, you don’t have to go far. Exel Wines, Provender Brown, Grayson’s Wine Café, The Venue and The Bothy can all provide you with some delicious bubbly to toast your new status.
Venues and Catering
When it comes to wedding venues in Perthshire, the phrase “spoilt for choice” has rarely been more apt. There are so many that it’s impossible to list them all, but here’s a wide and varied selection of hotels, halls and hot spots to suit every taste and budget.
The Byre at Inchyra
Where – Inchyra Estate, Glencarse, PH2 7LU
What – The Byre at Inchyra is a stunningly beautiful wedding venue set in verdant Perthshire countryside. In February 2017 the Byre’s team was delighted to win UK & Ireland Wedding Venue of the Year in the DWHA Awards run by Destination Weddings & Holidays Abroad Magazine, the UK’s largest bridal magazine. The Byre is a tastefully restored, fully equipped, rustic barn comprising several stylish spaces, set in 150 acres of private parkland. Or you can pledge your troth in the beautiful gardens. You can also use the Bridal Day Room at Inchyra House for getting ready in the morning.
Where – Pitlochry, Perthshire PH16 5LX
What – Atholl Palace Hotel sits in beautifully manicured gardens, high on a hill in the popular town of Pitlochry. From the magnificent tree-lined avenue to decadent suites and a luxury spa, Atholl Palace is a favourite choice for those seeking a Highland fairytale wedding.
Where – Bachilton House, Methven, PH1 3QX
What – Bachilton Barn is uniquely rural, yet a delightfully modern wedding venue located on 700 acres of stunning Perthshire countryside. The converted barn provides private surroundings and provides a perfect blank canvas for wedding couples to draw up the wedding of their dreams.
Website – http://www.bachiltonbarn.co.uk
Ballathie House Hotel
Where – Kinclaven, Stanley, PH1 4QN
What – Ballathie was voted Best Country House Wedding Venue at the 2012 Scottish Hotel Awards and benefits from a glorious position on the banks of the River Tay. For large parties, a marquee can be set up in the stunning grounds. Exclusive use can be arranged of the main house at certain times of the year.
Website – http://www.perthshire-weddings.com
Where – Braincroft, by Crieff, Perthshire, Scotland PH7 4JZ
What – Comrie Croft is, in its own words, “a wee bit different from a typical wedding venue”. A 200-year-old farmstead, house and barn set around a courtyard, together with 231 acres of fields and woods, most of the time it’s an award-winning green destination for people camping, hostelling or mountain biking. It’d be an informal, DIY wedding (the team doesn’t plan your wedding for you) but it’s sure to be lots of fun.
Where – Crieff
What – Set in 9000 acres of rolling Perthshire countryside, the popular Crieff Hydro has the right space – cosy or grand – for 12 guests or 120. The hotel has a highly experienced wedding co-ordinator and wedding menus are created by three-time Scottish Chef of the Year, Bruce Price.
Duchally Country Estate
Where – Gleneagles, Auchterarder, Perthshire, PH3 1PN
What – Duchally offers bespoke intimate weddings in a beautiful elegant country estate for up 40 guests, with an outstanding setting for photographs. The wedding party and guests can stay in luxurious lodges on the estate.
Dunkeld House Hotel
Where – Dunkeld, Perthshire, PH8 0HX
What – Dunkeld House Hotel, a luxury country house hotel that’s just had a £2m facelift, sits on the banks of the River Tay, in 280 acres of woodland. You can have your ceremony indoors or outdoors (weather permitting), and you can arrive down the mile-long drive in a vintage car or even arrive by boat along the Tay.
Where – Rait, Perthshire, PH2 7SA
What – Fingask Castle is a rural and romantic wedding venue set in the heart of Scotland. There’s a wide choice of locations for an exclusive wedding and reception, be it large or small, civil or religious, Asian or humanist – inside the castle, inside the pavilion or in the stunning gardens. Accommodation is expanding, and up to 70 guests can now stay in the self-catering cottages and new one-night stay ‘potting sheds’.
Where – Pitlochry, PH16 5BN
What – Fisher’s Hotel was founded in 1830, a mixture of Georgian and Victorian architecture tastefully refurbished for the 21st century. Features include a magnificent ballroom, beautiful Victorian bay windows overlooking the award-winning gardens and Art Deco fireplaces.
Fonab Castle Hotel
Where – Foss Rd, Pitlochry, PH16 5ND
What – This beautiful castle has a magical Highland setting coupled with contemporary interiors and unrivalled loch-side views, making it a favourite choice for fairytale weddings.
Where – Gleneagles, near Auchterarder
What – Gleneagles Hotel is known the world over for its five-star luxury. As well as the legendary hotel there are three championship golf courses, an award-winning spa, and a two-Michelin-star restaurant. The wedding team can organise your marriage to take place within the hotel, or nearby in a cathedral or a small local village church.
Where – York Place, Perth
What – The Grampian Hotel specialises in traditional Scottish weddings. Its Tartan Function room is perfect for a wedding breakfast and a good size for evening guests to dance the night away. The hotel offers a bespoke service or an inclusive price with guaranteed affordability, all with the best traditions of service.
Website – http://www.grampianhotel.co.uk/Weddings
Murrayshall House Hotel
Where – Just outside Scone, PH2 7PH
What – I’m slightly biased as my husband and I got married here 12 years ago, but this is a lovely comfortable hotel set in picturesque rolling countryside. Take your vows in the local church, or marry in the tastefully decorated lounge with its open fire and large windows. The hotel’s under new ownership and is being given a 21st-century makeover, but remains open for business and bookings. And, if you like golf, you can always arrive the day before and have a round or two!
Website – http://www.murrayshall.co.uk/weddings
Where – Scone Palace Park, Perth PH2 6BB
What – This romantic setting within the lovely parklands of Scone Palace boasts manicured lawns and stunning scenery. The venue is fully licensed and has a wide range of suites. And there’s a wedding co-ordinator on hand, to make sure the going is good!
Royal George Hotel
Where – Tay Street, Perth
What – The Royal George is ideally situated in the centre of Perth. Wedding parties can welcome guests with reception drinks in the Garden Room, overlooking the river and the award-winning gardens, which may be used for your photographs. You can all relax and enjoy freshly prepared Scottish cuisine in The Morning Room, The Restaurant or The Ballroom.
Church and Village halls
Where – Throughout Perthshire
What – If you’d like to get married without splashing huge amounts of cash, or you’d like to do something more low-key and quirky, why not book a local village hall, string it with fairy lights and bunting, get some students to work the bar and hire a caterer and ceilidh band? Your guests will be treated to an informal, fun-packed wedding that they’ll remember for the rest of their lives.
Websites (a selection) –
As you have seen Perth has a variety of locations for both religious and civil ceremonies including the registry office http://www.pkc.gov.uk/gettingmarried . Here are some key links:
Perth Presbytery: http://www.perthpresbytery.org.uk/
Gateway Community Church: http://www.gatewayperth.co.uk/
St Mathews Church: http://www.stmatts.org.uk/
Our Lady of Lourdes http://www.dunkelddiocese.co.uk/our-lady-of-lourdes-perth/
More Churches in Perth: http://weekdaymasses.org.uk/en/area/perth-kinross/churches
Perth Action of Churches Together (PACT) which is an ecumenical body with representatives from over 20 churches and Christian communities from Perth and the surrounding area. http://www.pact-perth.org.uk/
The Wedding Gifts
So just what should your friends and family buy you as a gift? If you’d rather avoid the big national retailers, and keep shopping local, you have some great options:
- Perth Gift Card – Why not ask for Perth Gift Cards, which you can now spend at over 75 – yes, 75! – shops, galleries, restaurants and venues. Imagine being able to see a year’s worth of gigs at Perth Concert Hall or having loads of fun days and evenings visiting Perth’s indie shops and award-winning restaurants. So much better than getting two of the same type of toaster, right?
- Travel vouchers – see the “Honeymoon” section, below, for a list of local travel agents, and you could be jetting off to the sun as soon as you’ve packed away the dress and cake!
- Experiences – White water rafting, bungee jumping and canyoning are popular wedding gifts for thrill-seeking couples – see “Hen and Stag Dos”, below, for all the possibilities.
Wedding Flowers and Cake
- The Rose House Florist and Gifts, Perth (winners of the Confetti Awards Florist of the Year 2016)
- The Bee’s Flower Shop, Perth
- Coach House Flowers, Grandtully
- Lorna Davies Florist, Perth
- McIntyre’s at Fair City Florists, Perth
- Something Special Flowers, Blairgowrie
- Tomnah’a Market Garden Flowers, Comrie
- Williamson’s, Perth
- Williamson’s, Pitlochry
Photographers / Film-makers
Choosing the right photographer is so important. She or he will spend the whole day with you and your wedding party, capturing all those special moments – the fun of getting ready, the romantic kisses, the all-important vows and the raucous party. Here are some special photographers, recommended by the wedding venues and/or our Perth City readers:
- Ally Stuart – http://www.allystuartweddings.co.uk
- Angus Forbes – http://www.angusforbesphotography.com/wedding-photography/
- The Kitcheners – http://thekitcheners.co.uk
- Neil Fordyce – http://www.neilfordyce.com/weddings/
- Phil Lidstone – http://phillidstone.com
- Shaun Ward – https://www.facebook.com/tenweddings/
- Strawberry Wedding Films – https://www.facebook.com/StrawberryWeddingFilms/
Brian, as well as a current 35 year military career, is an expert Master of Ceremonies, management specialist, event co-ordinator, consultant in procedure, etiquette and protocol, compere, diplomat, presenter, announcer, substitute host, group organiser and an excellent mentor.
For most people, a wedding is a highlight in their lives, a time when families come together to celebrate. It is also a time when people are understandably anxious. Brian is here to:
- Ensure that the wedding reception is conducted with due attention to protocol.
- Free the Banqueting Manager and staff to concentrate on the catering arrangements.
- Add a colourful and traditional Highland touch to the wedding.
- Provide “peace of mind” for Bride, Bridegroom, Parents and Guests.
As a professional Toastmaster, Brian has given and continues to offer a heightened sense of occasion, efficiency, diligence and passion to any occasion, while providing structure for hosts and guests of any formal or informal function.
He can be contacted via Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/Toast
Bridal Party Clothes
Whether you’ve been dreaming about “the dress” since you watched Father Of The Bride as a teenager, or you don’t have a clue what you’re after, these fantastic wedding shops will help you to find the perfect outfit – dress, kilt, sporran, accessories, veils, bags, shoes, you name it – to wow them in the aisles:
- Alison Kirk Bridal Boutique, Perth
- Apple Blossom Time, bridal and bridesmaid couture, Perth
- Arabesque, elegant wedding shoes, bags, veils and headdresses
- Blues & Browns bespoke tailored clothing, Perth
- Ivory Whites bridal couture, Perth
- Katy’s Company bridal couture, Perth
- The Kilt Company, Perth
- La Beck Bridal, Perth
- Perth City Kilts
- Robert Nicol Kiltmaker, Perth
- Scottish Sporrans, Perth
Strathearn Kilt Hire, Perth
After the bride and bridesmaid dresses are sorted, whose outfits are the next biggest priorities? That’s right – Mother of the Bride and Mother of the Groom! You can’t go wrong at these fabulous boutiques, where the mums will get individual attention and a one-off outfit, hat, handbag or shoes for the big day:
Hair and Make-up
In the frenetic buzz of the wedding day, there’s something special about sitting down with your bridesmaids and closest family to have your hair coiffed and your make-up perfectly applied. Here are some stylists and make-up artists who’ll help you to feel like a million dollars:
Gifts for your Helpers
They’ve made it to every dress fitting, helped you choose your sporran and shared a few gins and beers with you at the hen and stag parties. Now it’s time to choose a gift to thank all your loyal helpers – the bridesmaids, best man, ushers, flower girls, page boys, parents, in-laws and anyone else who’s been there for you.
We think the perfect way to thank them is a Perth Gift Card! It’s a pre-loaded Visa card that you can spend at over 75 local businesses.
Or if you’d rather pick something personal, check out all of these fabulous Perth shops where you can buy them the perfect gift to tell them how much they mean to you.
Hen and Stag Dos
Ah, the hen and stag dos. A chance for you to get together with your wildest – sorry, closest – friends and family, and let your hair down before you settle down to married bliss. And what fantastic options we have here in Perthshire for you! Here’s a selection of ideas:
- Crieff Hydro – for adventure and / or a pampering package
- Fonab Castle – for a luxury spa experience
- Highland Safaris near Aberfeldy – travel by Land Rover through unrivalled Perthshire scenery for an unforgettable experience
- Nae Limits at Ballinluig – thrills, spills or taking part in your own Highland Games…
- Outdoor Explore – guided kayak tours for a chilled-out but fun-filled experience
- Perthshire Paintball – for adrenaline-fuelled fun with your mates
Do you prefer vintage or modern? Luxury or quirky? These Perthshire wedding transport providers will ensure you arrive at your destination safely and – most importantly – on time!
- Carriages of Scone – for the largest selection of luxury cars in the Perth area
- Love Vintage Campers – because who wouldn’t want to hire a vintage Volkswagen Campervan (aka the coolest van ever made) for their wedding?
- Balfour Hynd – for modern and vintage classic cars, including a Daimler and a 1930s Regent Landaulette.
- A&BTaxis – offering Jaguar Sovereign cars as wedding vehicles, and a fleet of taxis and mini-coaches to help all your guests zoom from service to reception, or to get home safely.
- Docherty’s Midland Coaches – a family-run coach business since 1947, with 20 luxury coaches at your disposal.
To book your honeymoon, it couldn’t be simpler – pop down to the centre of Perth to visit one of our helpful travel agents:
- First Choice, 61/63 High Street, Perth PH1 5TJ
- Ramsay World Travel
- Thomas Cook, 65 High Street, Perth PH1 5TJ
- Thomson, 61/63 High Street, Perth PH1 5TJ
- Visit Scotland iCentre, 45 High Street, Perth PH1 5TJ
..or stay in one of Perthshire’s most romantic hotels:
Accommodation for Guests
After they’ve danced their last Strip The Willow, your guests will need somewhere to rest their weary tootsies. Here’s a list of Perth accommodation to make it easy for you:
- Atholl Place Self-Catering Townhouse
- Achnacarry Guest House
- Alexander Residence
- Almond Villa Guesthouse
- Auld Manse Guest House
- Auld Manse Self Catering Apartment
- Balvaird Apartment at Scone Palace
- Best Western Queens Hotel
- The Fitzroy Bed & Breakfast
- Grampian Hotel
- Hazeldene Guest House
- Holiday Inn Express Hotel
- Mercure Hotel
- Murrayshall Hotel & Golf Courses
- No 9 The Guest House Perth
- The Parklands Hotel
- Premier Inn Hotel
- The Royal George Hotel
- Salutation Hotel
- Sunbank House Hotel
- The Townhouse
- Woodlea Guest House
Get in touch
So, there you have it! We hope we’ve given you some fantastic ideas, and that we’ve helped you on the journey to the happiest day of your lives, right here in our beautiful county. If you’ve been inspired by what you’ve read, let us know – and do send us photos of your happy day. Cheers!