The Old Academy Building on Rose Terrace Perth
Perth Academy first appears in 1542 when it was founded by the town council, still making Perth Academy one of the oldest schools in Scotland. Designed by Robert Reid, later the King’s architect, work on this building was started in October 1803, and finished for the start of the teaching year in 1807.
The building housed a number of educational establishments including the Academy and Perth Grammar School. It was built in a classical style, featuring grand staircases, elegant plasterwork and a large domed schoolroom. The building has now been converted into offices.
The end bays have fanlight doorpieces and arched tripartites. The balustraded parapet with clock and statue of Britannia added, John Rhind sculptor 1886.
Pigeons are a recurring theme of this blog and yet again they sneak into the photos! The building was recently repaired and the new elements are easily spotted, they will improve with age…