You might not think it from the recent snowy weather, but Easter will soon be here! So how are you going to keep the family entertained this season? If you don’t have any ideas yet, fear not – our Easter Holiday family fun guide is sure to keep you all egg-stremely happy!
Easter is a great time to celebrate the warmer, longer days. There’s so much outdoor fun going on in Perth and Perthshire that you won’t want to go back indoors!
Active Kids is an Adventure Park for kids of all ages. There are mini go-karts and slides for young kids, pedal go-karts for older children and a pirate ship/fort/crazy golf/astro slide/animals for everyone! There’s also indoor Soft Play for the under-sevens and a lovely shop and café.
Wee Limits offers thrilling and fun-packed adventure activities during the Easter holidays, for kids from age 6 to 16-plus. With White Water Tubing, Canyoning, White Water Rafting, Gorge Walking or the Wee Limits Adventure Academy on offer, there will be thrills and spills galore for your whole family!
Noah’s Ark is offering an exciting Junior Golf Camp during Easter. Noah’s professional Kevin McNiven, who has organised and run camps at Gleneagles Hotel and in the Emirates Golf Club, has designed loads of fun games and activities for keen junior golfers. The two-day camp will run over 10th & 11th April, from 10am – 1pm, for ages 6 – 14.
Indoor play and sports
Occasionally the weather can be rainy in the Easter hols – but don’t worry, there’s plenty to do indoors while staying active. Check out these activities that’ll help you work up an appetite for your Easter eggs!
There are lots of Live Active Full-day, Adventure and Sports camps in Blairgowrie, Perth, Highland Perthshire, Kinross and Crieff, offering a wide array of fun activities, from football, trampolining and athletics to game-time and gymnastics. There are also drop-in sessions for kids of all ages.
Easter wouldn’t be Easter without a family trip to Perth Leisure Pool, would it? As well as the usual swimming sessions, there are also fun drop-in sessions from 2nd to 6th April, from 9am to 10am, for ages 8 and older. Or you can get a whole week or fortnight of private swimming lessons to really bring on their skills! Finally, there are swim camps for kids of all abilities, from beginner to rookie lifeguard.
Arts and crafts
Easter is a great time for arts and crafts, as kids (and adults!) get inspired by the longer, lighter spring days. Here’s a selection of arty fun for all ages that’ll keep everyone amused and inspired.
Create: Kids’ Creative Craft Workshops are run by artist Lisa Earl from her fantastic custom-built art studio in Kinnoull Hill, Perth. You can make fun and funky projects, and have plenty of outdoor fun too, in Create’s Easter camp which will run on 3rd, 4th, 5th, 9th and 10th April. Book one day or all – it’s up to you! 10am – 3pm, £25 per child per day, ages 6 and up. Booking essential. Contact Lisa at Create on Facebook or email firstname.lastname@example.org / call 07702 501730.
Master the art of watercolours with local artist Rebecca Prentice at the Black Watch Castle and Museum. Learn simple tips and techniques to help you create some wonderful artworks. £8 per child, ages 7-12, booking required.
Museums, castles – and dinosaurs!
It’s all about the dinos in Perth this Easter! Your family will have so much fun finding out more about these amazing ancient creatures at the following events:
- Bones at Perth Museum (17th March to 24th June)
- Playing With Dinosaurs (17th March to 24th June)
- So You Think You Know About Dinosaurs with Ben Garrod (29th March)
- Easter Monday Dinosaur Egg Hunt (2nd April)
- Dinosaur Day School (10th April)
And if you’re fans of history and the past, we have castles galore so the kids can run off steam by playing at knights – Balhousie Castle and Museum, Huntingtower Castle, Elcho Castle, Castle Menzies, Blair Castle and Gardens and Loch Leven Castle for starters! Or you could visit Scone Palace to explore the grounds, get lost (and found) in the maze, meet the peacocks and play in the playpark, followed by lunch or snacks at the cafe.
Shows and concerts
Kids love going to see a show during the holidays, so here are a few ideas that the whole family can enjoy:
- Space Ape, Perth Theatre Joan Knight Studio (5th April, 7pm / 6th April, 2pm) – a new science fiction storytelling performance for children aged 7+ that will take young audiences on a journey through art, science, and philosophy, and on a mission with a very special Ape.
- Perth & Kinross Music Camp Concert, Perth Concert Hall (Sat 7th April, 7.30pm) – Young musicians from Perth + Kinross return from their annual residential music courses to perform a variety of popular repertoire. Kids and school pupils go free but must book a ticket.
- Perth Youth Orchestra Spring Concert, Perth Concert Hall (Sun 8th April, 7.30pm) – Perth Youth Orchestra hosts its Annual Spring Concert. One of the country’s longest established youth orchestras will present a full symphonic programme from the orchestral repertoire. Kids and school pupils go free but must book a ticket.
- National Youth Choir of Scotland, Perth Concert Hall (Sat 14th April, 3pm) – NYCoS National Girls Choir, led by world-renowned conductor Christopher Bell, bring highlights of their repertoire to Perth Concert Hall.
Easter Egg Hunts and fun days
Well, we couldn’t do an Easter family special without some Easter Egg hunts and Easter-y fun, could we? For some fantastic Easter adventures, and the chance to eat loads of chocolate, check out these brilliant activities:
- The Station Hotel Easter Sunday Family Fun Day (1st April, 12-3pm) – with DJ, bouncy castle, kids’ games, magic show and face painting
- Black Watch Museum Easter Egg Hunt (Daily from 31st March – 15th April)
- Cadbury’s Easter Egg Hunt at Killiecrankie (1st April), The Hermitage (31st March) and Branklyn Garden (30th March to 2nd April)
- Active Kids – During Easter weekend (31st March / 1st April) there’s a super-exciting Easter Egg Hunt and other fun activities. 10am–5pm.
- St John’s Centre Easter Egg Hunt (31st March, 11am – 3pm) – Spot the Easter Egg stickers hiding in the mall and the Easter Bunny will reward you with your own tasty cream egg! Everyone who takes part and finds all six eggs will be entered into a free prize draw to win a Giant Bunny! Free for all kids up to age 11.