If you’re coming along to Perth’s Biggest Weekend this May, you are going to have to start thinking about your travel plans. If you need some advice on travelling into Perth, make sure you have a look at our travel tips here.
To get to the Biggest Weekend from Perth City Centre you have a couple of options. Here you can find out more about the Shuttle Bus and Parking Tickets specially organised for the Biggest Weekend!
There is no drop off on the site for private vehicles, due to the volume of traffic expected.
Check this page to find out more details about transport, parking details and other useful information about getting to the event. This page will be updated as additional information becomes available.
Plan your travel in advance to minimise disruption. Access to the event is by car, shuttle bus or on foot. Private vehicles wishing to drop off passengers should drop them in Perth, from where they can walk or get the shuttle bus, as there will be no drop off on site. Please follow the signs rather than your sat nav, as some roads may be closed.
Car parking areas are next to the event site with a maximum of around 15 minutes walking. There will be limited public car parking available at the event location. Consider car sharing: check out https://liftshare.com.
Parking tickets are sold on a first come first served basis:
- Tickets bought between 7 May – 20 May 2018: £15 (plus £2 handling charge) per car per day
- Tickets bought between 21 May 2018 – 24 May (Show Week): £18 (plus £2 handling charge) per car per day
- Car parking tickets must be purchased in advance of the event.
- Buy your parking tickets here – https://booking.scone-palace.co.uk/event/bbc-biggest-weekend-car-parking
Stagecoach East Scotland has teamed up with the BBC Biggest Weekend and Perth & Kinross Council to run a shuttle bus service for people travelling to the event from Perth City Centre on Friday 25 and Saturday 26 May. The bus pick up / drop off location is a 20-minute walk through grassy parklands. Please wear sturdy footwear.
Journeys will leave from the dedicated shuttle bus stop at the junction of Perth High Street and Tay Street from 11:30 am on Friday 25 May and run every half an hour to Scone Palace. Returning to Perth City Centre in the evening, the last journey from the Palace will depart at 00:30 on the Saturday morning.
On Saturday 26 May, shuttle bus services will begin at 10:00am from the same dedicated stop and run every 15 minutes throughout the day to Scone Palace. Returning in the evening the last departure to Perth City Centre will be at 01:00 on the Sunday morning.
Both return and single journey tickets cost £5.00 per person.
Please pre-book your seats for the shuttle bus service before 18 May, when online booking closes. After 18th of May you can still buy tickets in person at Perth bus station until Friday the 25th. Seats are likely to be extremely limited on the day for those who have not pre-booked.
Buy your bus tickets here – http://www.citylink.co.uk/e_biggestweekend.php
The event is a 40 minute walk from Perth City Centre.
Travelling to the event
How do I access the event?
Site access is well signposted, so if you’re travelling by car or on foot follow the event signage to reach your destination. The route is not the same as a normal visit to Scone Palace, so don’t rely on sat nav!
Where can I drop off passengers in my car?
Drivers of private vehicles who do not wish to park at the site should drop passengers in Perth, at South Inch car park, so that they can walk or get the shuttle bus. There is no pick-up/drop-off area on site, anyone who enters the car park will be asked to pay.
I didn’t buy my bus ticket by 18 May, can I still get the shuttle bus?
There will be limited bus tickets available on the day. If you missed the online deadline, you can still buy tickets in advance in person at Perth bus station.
Where do I go to catch the shuttle bus in Perth?
There will be a queuing system in place, as large numbers of passengers are expected between 11am and 3pm. To enter the queue, please approach Tay Street from the south (ie from the South Street end).
I can’t walk for 20 minutes. Can I still get the bus?
Yes, transport from the shuttle drop off to the arena will be arranged for people unable to walk.
I’m driving a minibus, will I be able to use the taxi rank?
Unfortunately the temporary taxi rank at Quarrymill Car Park will be unable to take the volume of minibuses which are now being predicted. Any minibuses will be directed to the on site car park, and asked to pay the on the day ticket price of £20. Entries to the car park will stop at 9.00 pm on both nights, so if the minibus will be leaving and returning later that day you will need to be back in the car park before 9.00 pm.
Retain your parking ticket from earlier in the day to show on re-entry.
Travelling around Perth/Scone during the event
Friday 25th May
Looking at the latest estimates, we expect numbers on Friday to be similar to those for previous events at Scone, and so we do not expect to have to implement all of the road closures originally expected. The information below has been updated to reflect the closures and parking/loading restrictions which will be in place on the Friday.
Saturday 26th May
On Saturday, there will be unprecedented numbers travelling within a relatively short space of time, so we do expect to have to close more roads to cars. If you do not need to travel during the peak times for people travelling to (10:00 to 14:00) and from (22:00 to 01:00) on each day, then we’d recommend planning any journeys outwith these times.,
- A93 Perth to Blairgowrie, Isla Road (Main Street to Old Scone) will be closed to all traffic apart from permitted vehicles from 08:00 Saturday 26th May to 10:00 Sunday 27th The diversion will be via the A94 to Scone. There will be local access as far as Upper Springlands. From 08:00 Friday 25th May to 10:00 Sunday 27th May there will also be a 20mph speed restriction, plus loading and parking restrictions (both sides) in operation.
- U88 Stormontfield (A93 Old Scone to Race Course entrance) will be closed to all westbound traffic from 21:00 Fri 25th May to 02:00 Sat 26th May and also from 21:00 Sat 26th May to 02:00 Sun 27th May. The diversion will be via the A94 Scone to Redstone – C438 Redstone – C437 Guildtown – A93 – U88 Cambusmichael. This diversion will be extremely busy when people are leaving the event. There will also be a 20mph speed restriction, plus loading and parking restrictions (both sides) in operation.
- U87 Old Scone (A93 to Stormont Road) will be closed to all westbound traffic from 08:00 Fri 25th May to 08:00 Sun 27th May. The diversion will be via the A94. There will also be a 20mph speed restriction, plus loading and parking restrictions (both sides) in operation.
- U89 St Martins (A93 – C434) will be closed to all eastbound traffic from 08:00 Fri 25th May to 15:00 Fri 25th May and also from 08:00 Sat 26th May to 15:00 Sat 26th May. The diversion will be via the C434 – A93 – C437 – C438 – A94. There will also be a 20mph speed restriction, plus loading and parking restrictions (both sides) in operation.
- Keir Street, Perth (A94 – A93) will be closed to all westbound traffic from 08:00 Fri 25th May to 10:00 Sun 27th May. The diversion will be via the A94. There will also be loading and parking restrictions (both sides) in operation.
- Main Street, Perth (Strathmore Street – Perth Bridge) will have loading and parking restrictions (both sides) in operation from 06:00 Fri 25th May to 10:00 Sun 27th May.
- Stormont Road, Sandy Road, Spoutwells Road, Spoutwells Drive and Oakdene Road, Scone will have parking and loading restrictions (both sides) in place from 06:00 Fri 25th May to 10:00 Sun 27th May. This is to maintain the local bus services and prevent indiscriminate parking.
Loading and parking restrictions (both sides) will be in place on the following roads from 06:00 Friday 25th May to 10:00 Sunday 27th May. Details of road closures/other restrictions are as below.
- Tay Street, Perth (Perth Bridge – Queen’s Bridge) will be closed to all traffic apart from buses from 06:00 Sat 26th May to 10:00 Sun 27th May.
- High Street, Perth (Tay Street – Watergate) will be closed to all traffic apart from buses from 06:00 Sat 26th May to 10:00 Sun 27th May.
- George Street, Perth (High Street – Charlotte Street) will be closed to all traffic apart from buses from 06:00 Sat 26th May to 10:00 Sun 27th May.
- Bridge Lane, Perth (Skinnergate – George Street) will be closed to all traffic from 06:00 Sat 26th May to 10:00 Sun 27th May.
The following roads are also included in the Temporary Traffic Restriction Order. They have been included only in case they are needed and will hopefully not be necessary. However, there is expected to be a lot of traffic on these roads at the start and end of the event.
- A85 Perth Bridge & West Bridge Street, Perth
- C434 Balbeggie to St Martins
- C438 Redstone to Gallowhill
- C437 Gallowhill to Guildtown
The peak arrival times are expected to be 10:00 – 14:00 and the peak departure times 22:00 – 01:00 for both the Friday and Saturday events. Traffic will be significantly heavier on the Saturday. Please plan around this, and where possible avoid travelling during these times unless it’s absolutely necessary.
Pedestrian routes will not be affected and emergency access will be maintained at all times.